Summer Retreat 2016 › view all
Cross-Disciplinary Discussions and Team-Bonding at Gut Ankelohe
Am Brink 1
The second semester of the newest cohort of BIGSSS PhD fellows is marked by the Summer Retreat, a two-day event where fellows present their dissertation projects to a cross-disciplinary audience. The BIGSSS Summer Retreat traditionally takes place at Gut Ankelohe, a historic farmstead between Cuxhaven and Bremerhaven, where BIGSSS fellows, postdocs and faculty enjoy productive scientific discussions and team-bonding and leasure time activities.
This year's Summer Retreat included a panel discussion with BIGSSS Alumni who shared their experiences in diverse working contexts with the newest BIGSSS cohort and faculty. The panel consisted of:
- Dawid Friedrich, Professor for International Relations at the Center for the Study of Democracy (ZDEMO), Leuphana Universität Lüneburg
- Julia Gieseler, Personal Assistant to the Rectorate, University of Bremen
- Christof Roos, Research Professor for Migration and Diversity, Institut for European Studies, Vrije University of Brussels
- Alexa Meyer-Hamme, Junior Professional at Bertelsmann Foundation
- Andreas Müller, Researcher at German Ministry of Migration and Refugees
Additional highlights of this year's retreat were the soft skill seminar “Oral Presentation of Scientific Information” by Art Woodward and BIGSSS fellow Alexandra Mittelstädt as well as the annual soccer match of faculty vs. fellows (final score: 4-3). Good hustle, everyone!