Call for Applications: BIGSSS-departs PhD Program
10 Positions for Early-Stage Researchers
BIGSSS currently invites applications for its BIGSSS-departs (doctoral education in partnerships) program. Please find more information below and on the following pages.
About the Program
- BIGSSS-departs is part of the EU COFUND scheme funded by the European Commission under the Framework for Research and Innovation Horizon 2020.
- It is a structured 42-month PhD program in the social sciences, including a mandatory six-month stay abroad at one of our BIGSSS-departs partner institutions.
- Accepted applicants receive a time-limited work contract (42 months), with no possibility for extension in the program context. Funds for additional research and travel costs will be available.
- Program start: September 1, 2017
- The language of instruction is English.
- Applicants should show strong academic abilities and a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in political science, sociology, psychology, or a related social science discipline
- Applicants must apply with a freely chosen dissertation project which fits into one of BIGSSS' three thematic fields.
- Applications have to demonstrate a thematic fit between the dissertation proposal and the potential supervisor’s research area. You can download the list of recent research areas and supervisors. Please note that applicants are requested not to contact faculty members directly.
- Due to EU COFUND regulations, applicants must be in the first four years of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree
- Due to EU COFUND regulations, applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the date of their recruitment. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
General Information on Application Procedures
- The call for applications is open from November 1, 2016 until January 31, 2017.
- Applications must be submitted online via our departs 2017 admissions system.
- For additional inquiries, please check the following pages and feel free to contact our admissions officer (email@example.com).
About the BIGSSS-departs PhD Program
If you would like to learn more about the BIGSSS-departs PhD Program, please follow this link.