Ph.D. Fellowship Competition
The BIGSSS Ph.D. Program:
Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS) invites applications to its Ph.D. program. The program will commence on September 1st, 2013.
Successful applicants for our Ph.D. fellowships will pursue a topic in one of BIGSSS' three Thematic Fields:
Applicants are asked to apply with their own research project broadly related to one of the three thematic fields.
However, against the background of foci of current research initiatives within the BIGSSS faculty, this year we additionally welcome applications that touch upon the following themes:
- Social Cohesion (Field B and C)
- Transnational social policy (Field A and B)
- The future of the middle class (Field B)
- Carrier groups of internationalized rule (Field A)
- Cross-National / Cross-Cultural Comparisons (Field C)
All fellows are expected to choose Bremen as their place of residence.
BIGSSS offers 15 Ph.D. stipends of 1300 Euros/month for 36 months, contingent on successful completion of each year. To support its Ph.D. fellows in achieving early scientific independence, it also provides funds for conducting, presenting and publishing research. There is no separate funding application, because all admitted applicants receive a stipend.
- An excellent MA degree (or national equivalents like the German "Diplom" or "Magister") in a discipline pertinent to at least one of BIGSSS' three Thematic fields (see above), i.e. in Political Science (including related degree programs in European Studies or International Relations), Sociology, Psychology, Law, Economics or Mass Communication. The degree must be completed by the end of July of the year of application, which means you may apply before having finished your MA degree.
- English proficiency as described in the application materials section below.
- Additionally BIGSSS offers 2 Preparatory Fellowships to particularly talented BA Graduates. Please refer to Predoctoral Fellowships to find out more about the program.
Diversity and Anti-Discrimination:
BIGSSS believes that diverse backgrounds and ideas are crucial to academic excellence. Therefore, BIGSSS welcomes and promotes diversity and ensures equal opportunity and inclusion for all of its members regardless of ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age or (dis-)ability. More information and contact details of our Equal Opportunities Officers can be found here.
The application period for the Fall 2013 semester will begin in the middle of December 2012 and go until March 15th, 2013. The deadline refers to the date of receipt of the application. All letters of recommendation must also reach BIGSSS by March 15th, 2013.
Email inquiries about the application process should be sent to admissions-officerbigsss-bremen.de. Or you may call the admissions officer, Agata Kraj, at 0049 (0) 421 200 3956.
If you have questions regarding the admissions process, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions after carefully reading the website.